Business Plans that Drive Results
and Attract Investors
Whether you need a business plan for internal planning, to obtain debt financing through an SBA loan, to present to angel investors, or to get venture capital --- we can help. We work closely with you to understand your goals and vision, and then develop your entire business plan. Although most clients hire us to write a business plan for them they often find that the process they go through in developing that final business plan is more valuable than the documents themselves.
Our business planning process is intense, thorough, and highly collaborative. Although every case is different, a "typical" business plan takes between 4 and 6 weeks to complete. More complicated businesses (often involving new or unique technology, unusual or multiple revenue streams, or requiring large amounts of funding) may require more time. This is particularly true with larger organizations where multiple stakeholders are involved: Board of Directors, Advisory Board, CEO, CFO, COO, CIO, Director of Marketing, Director of Sales, etc.
As business plan consultants, we will help you refine your business model, identify your most profitable customers, fine-tune your marketing plan, and improve your sales projections. We provide an objective view, so your final business plan makes a statement that exudes confidence and attracts investors.
- We work closely with you to understand your goals and vision, and then develop your entire business plan, from "elevator pitch" to "exit strategy."
- We don't start with a "canned" business plan format --- each business plan is individually crafted to meet the unique requirements of each client.
- Unlike many of our competitors, we expect --- even demand --- several iterations. We understand that the first version is rarely perfect. If you are not happy with our work, we aren't either.
- We don't just "write a business plan." We question assumptions, perform independent research on the market and competition, and explore and propose alternative ways to market your product or service. We are business plan consultants, not just business plan writers.
- If your business plan is to obtain capital, we'll evaluate your plan from the viewpoint of a prospective investor or partner. Our experience allows us to quickly spot problems and fix them long before you meet with your first investor.
- We provide you with a small team of dedicated business plan consultants who understand and care about your business. You won't start with a senior consultant and then get passed on to a trainee.
Business Plan Components
Our writing style is clear, direct, and simple. A complete strategic business plan includes the following ingredients:
- Industry Overview --- a general introduction to the industry
- Market Opportunity --- a discussion of how large the business opportunity is in terms of revenue, number of customers, number of sub-markets, growth trends, etc.
- Customers -- who are they, where are they, how many are there, etc.?
- Competition -- understand the competitive landscape in as much detail as possible. If there are no direct competitors now, then who are your indirect competitors?
- Products & Services --- What products and services will the business supply to customers?
- A description of the Business Model, including all major revenue streams. How will the business make money?
- Marketing & Sales Plan -- how will you attract and retain customers, deliver your product/service to them, and earn their loyalty? How will you position your products and services relative to competitors?
- Operations -- how will you get things done on a daily basis? This includes everything from research through production on to sales and billing.
- Management & Staff -- probably the single most important factor in any effective business plan. Describe the management team in terms of experience, talents, connections, etc. What additional resources will you need to make the business succeed?
- Investment Opportunity and Exit Strategy for Investors -- what will investors get for their money or their time? When and how will they be compensated?
- Financial Projections -- includes monthly cash flow projections (with all revenue sources and expenses included), pro-forma financial statements, marketing and sales costs, taxes, office space, development costs, etc. We also provide clear and detailed explanations of the assumptions behind the financial projections.
- SWOT (Strengths / Weaknesses / Opportunities / Threats) Analysis
- Supplementary Materials -- patents, trademarks, trade agreements, letters of reference, etc.
A professional business plan ties all of the above together into a self-consistent, attractive professional package that speaks for itself. A "typical" business plan is between 12 and 18 pages long, excluding supplementary documentation such as financial projections, graphs, charts, etc. The final business plan package ranges from 20 to 80 pages, depending on the complexity of your business, how much capital you are seeking, how many markets you are targeting, etc.
Rest assured that no matter how simple or complicated your underlying business is, we will spend the time and effort necessary to make your business plan a major springboard towards your future success.